Thursday, April 24, 2008

Locks of Love & Fancy Schmancy Signature

I just wanted to briefly tell anyone who is interested about a wonderful opportunity to help a child with cancer. Earlier this week, I donated 12 inches of my hair to http://www.locksoflove.org/ This organization accepts 10 inches & longer of hair that is not bleached or permanently dyed, and no more than 5% gray. I heard about this opportunity from my little cousin who did it. She is in elementary school and had beautiful long hair. One day, she came by and her hair was in a short bob haircut. I was shocked to see her new look & asked her why she cut her hair off. Her mother, a 2 time cancer survivor - now in remission, had gone through chemo & needed wigs. Her daughter, inspired by the challenges of her mom's illness, decided to make a difference & donate her own hair. I was totally touched by this selfless act. If a little child could give up her lovely locks of hair to help out a child affected by cancer, I thought I could definitely extend this gesture. For the past year, I grew out my hair and it finally was time to do the cutting. I am not fond of my short hair, but I know that it is helping a child. If you are not willing to chop off 10 inches, Pantene allows you to donate a minimum of 8 inches http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/index_home.jsp This was also featured on Oprah. If you have grey hair, you can still donate as it will be used to offset the costs of wigs by selling it. If you are interested in donating, be sure to read the requirements listed on both sites to see which works best for you. I will post an after pic of my new haircut soon =)

I also got this new fancy schmancy signature. If you want to get one, go to http://www.mylivesignature.com/ It is so simple & it's free for a basic one like the one I have =)

Thanks for reading,

1 comment:

Ami said...

So proud of you for doing it! What a wonderful gift you gave someone.